Today is Friday, February 28, 2014. The forecast calls for mostly cloudy skies and rain with a high of about 63 degrees.
This morning I have a group of college bound Roadrunners from Mrs. Heiland's class.
Next week, Ms. Peters class will be leading us in the pledge.
National Chili Day
On this Day in History:
On this day in 1953, Cambridge University scientists James D. Watson and Frances H.C. Crick announce that they have determined the double-helix structure of DNA, the molecule containing human genes.
Here’s a random Science Facts for today:
Frogs eat their skin after they shed it.
Your Character Counts at Rock Springs School:
The Pillar of the Week is Trustworthiness, our first Pillar of Character, represented by the color blue. When you think about trustworthiness, think "true blue".
- Be honest
- Don't deceive, cheat, or steal
- Be reliable, do what you say you'll do
- Have the courage to do the right thing
- Build a good reputation
- Be loyal, stand by your family, friends, and country
According to Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, philosopher and poet, "Trust people and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great."
Hearts for Huntingtons
275 Hearts have been sold. Today is the day to turn in your hearts.
Read Across America
Next week is Read Across America Week! In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday, we will be celebrating all week with reading events.
- Monday - Dr. Seuss Word Day: Make up your own Dr. Seuss-like word and the definition. Write it down, give to Mr. Lake and he will share some on the morning announcements.
- Tuesday – Share a Book Day: Bring one of your favorite books to school to share with someone. It’s not for keeps, just for the day.
- Wednesday - Guest Readers: Guest readers from the community will be coming in to read Dr. Seuss books to classes. RoseAnn will contact you to schedule a time.
- Thursday - Green Day & Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast: Everyone wears green to school! The cafeteria will also be serving Green Eggs and Ham for breakfast. Teachers are invited (but not required) to join the students for breakfast.
- Friday - Cat in the Hat Day: Teachers and kids make and wear Cat in the Hat hats.
- All Week;
- DEAR Time: Drop Everything And Read. This will occur everyday 9:45-10:00. We ask that all staff and students participate by reading during this time.
- Bookmark Contest: Create a bookmark (or two) about reading. Give your bookmark to Mrs. Stump. She will select two bookmarks from each class to be made into “official” RSU bookmarks that can be obtained in the library.
- Door Decor: Classes decorate the inside and outsides of their doors as book covers (any book). Completed by Friday for the door parade where you may walk your class around campus and see all of the decorated doors.
- Reading Posters: - Create reading related posters that will be displayed in the Character Counts Quad.
- Chalk walk/Concrete Poetry: Mrs. Stump will be coordinating times for students to display the poetic and artistic talents in chalk on the sidewalks around school.
- Please remember to walk when traveling through campus.
- Also remember to use quiet voices in all academic areas.
- Remember to play safe on the playground and when the bell rings to line up, walk to your line safely. We do not want anyone running as you could get hurt.
- When you arrive at school in the morning, remember to sit at the lunch tables. All students are to remain sitting at the lunch tables until the duty teacher says that you may get up.
- At the end of the day, your teacher will walk you to your designated exit for parent pick-up. If your ride is not there, you need to wait, stay at the front of the school and wait patiently and quietly for your ride.
This concludes today’s announcements. Thank you college bound roadrunners, and remember,
“Keep a smile on your face, it will increase your face value!”