Good Morning Rock Springs School!
Today is day 4 of school on this Friday, August 22, 2014. The forecast calls for mostly sunny skies today with a high of about 85 degrees.
Be an Angel Day
On this Day in History:
In 1881, American humanitarians Clara Barton and Adolphus Solomons founded the American National Red Cross, an organization designed to provide humanitarian aid to victims of wars and natural disasters in congruence with the International Red Cross.
Here’s a random Back-to-School Facts for today:
- Everyone's favorite coloring utensil, the crayon, ranks #18 on the list of most recognizable scents.
- Before the school calendar became national, geography determined when students attended classes. In small, rural areas, school went from December to March and May to August so that kids could help plant in the spring and harvest in the fall.
- Pencils are not only good in the classroom, but they can be used in zero gravity, upside down and even under water.
- The tradition of giving apples to teachers dates back to the 16th century in Denmark, where parents would pay their educators with food (namely, apples since they were expensive and hard to harvest), since teachers couldn't live off their small salaries.
Your Character Counts at Rock Springs School:
This week we introduced the Six Pillars of Character; Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring, and Citizenship. We can easily remember these words using the Mnemonic, TRRFCC - terrific. Next week we will explore the meaning of each word and the positive impact they can have on our lives.
According to Karen Hartz, CC! coordinator, CHARACTER COUNTS! in Caroline County, "To exercise good character daily is to be morally fit for life."
- Please remember to walk when traveling through campus.
- Also remember to use quiet voices in all academic areas.
- Remember to play safe on the playground and when the bell rings to line up, walk to your line safely. We do not want anyone running as you could get hurt.
- When you arrive at school in the morning, remember to sit at the lunch tables. All students are to remain sitting at the lunch tables until the duty teacher says that you may get up.
- At the end of the day, your teacher will walk you to your designated exit for parent pick-up. If your ride is not there, you need to wait, stay at the front of the school and wait patiently and quietly for your ride.
This concludes today’s announcements. Thank you college bound roadrunners, and remember,
“Keep a smile on your face, it will increase your face value!”